Tragedy of the worst kind

This morning, a young man and his mother got into a fight. The mother fled the home and called 911 from a neighbor's. Loudon County, TN Sheriff's Deputy Jason Scott responded to the call. As he stepped out of his cruiser at the boy's home, shots rang out. Deputy Scott was down.

Back up units could not reach Scott. Gunfire continued to erupt from the home. Finally, a Knox County Sheriff's cruiser, covered with Kevlar vests, was able to get close enough to Scott to pull him away from the area. He was rushed to the University of Tennessee Medical Center by LifeSTAR helicopter where he died. Jason Scott leaves behind a wife, pregnant with their first child, due any day now. He was 20 years old and a three year veteran of the Sheriff's department.

At of this writing, the boy, Michael Harvey, 16, is still holed up in the house, heavily armed with automatic rifles and scopes. Knox County Sheriff Tim Hutchison stated he is believed to have "as much (weaponry and ammunition) inside the house as we have outside." Six law enforcement agencies are on the scene with over 150 officers present. Frank Harvey, the boy's father, is a Loudon County Assistant District Attorney.

This is such a bloody, sad, senseless tragedy ... I just can't believe it. Why? How? Whatever possessed this young man to take such action? Two lives wasted ... one ended, one ruined. And one new life beginning ...

Local TV News Report and Video

A further update:
Michael Harvey is dead. Apparently, he shot himself in the head sometime last night. Updated news reports state that Michael had been troubled in the past ... attempted suicide last year and spent some time in a mental hospital. The same mental hospital my son was in.

There, but for the Grace of God and Lithium, go I.
Posted by LissaKay on 03/13/04 at 01:15 AM in Bipolarville Our World
I hope some close-minded adults read your post here and learn a thing or two.

Somehow I doubt that will happen, but I'd be glad if it did.

Great post.

Posted by Sharon on 03/16 at 07:20 PM

Further information and rumor have it that Michael Harvey may have been taking an anti-depressant medication.

Again, this is unsubstantiated at this time.

However, if true, it fits right in with what many parents of mentally ill (especially bipolar) kids know and doctors are just beginning to figure out ... SSRI medications are a disaster waiting to happen. Psychosis, violent behavior, suicidal ideation ... these are the symptoms seen in the worst cases when kids are given SSRI anti-depressants like Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa. My son was nearly over the edge when taking Paxil ... as soon as he was off of it, he made a miraculous recovery. But much damage had already been done.

Medical reports and studies are just now showing how dangerous these medications can be. It will take years before these new discoveries become the standard of practice. Until then, how many thousands of kids are there out there, taking these drugs, ticking away like little time bombs, waiting to become the next Michael Harvey?

Posted by LissaKay on 03/18 at 12:22 AM

well written and informed article. I sure wish my family members would read & understand the truth written here. You know your child better than the "specialists" & just glean all the information you can & then make the best decision for your child. Trust your instinct.

Posted by Grandma Ruth on 03/25 at 01:25 AM

That is sooo right about being your child's best advocate! You have to buck the establishment and get what your child needs.
I just demanded that my son's pdoc put him the bipolar meds instead of the anti-depressive meds when I saw some activation on the Effexor. She wasn't sure that it was the best thing but she went with it since I was so adamant about it. And it worked!! And then with 1 mg of Risperdal, he is back to being "normal" again. Yes!!

Posted by Theresa on 03/25 at 04:01 AM

Good right up, Demi, hun. Hugs to ya. Ain't it the truth.

Posted by fiona on 04/13 at 08:17 PM

I MUCH AGREE ABOUT ALL THE MEDS THESE KIDS ARE TAKING. MY 12 YEAR OLD SON IS ONE. WE ARE BEING FORCED BY THE JUVENILE COURT HERE. HAVING ISSUES WITH THE SAME? IT'S SAD THAT THEY HAVE THE POWER TO DO THIS. A CONCERNED MOTHER.

Posted by ANGELA on 12/14 at 08:15 PM