Rep. Stacey Campfield - Dictator or Just Asinine?

State Rep. Stacey Campfield is against freedom of speech, and lives in a state of denial. He will censor and ban anyone that challenges him at his web site, and will refuse to discuss issues with people that disagree with him. He doesn't want to represent the people, he wants to dictate their moral code for them!

UPDATE: Heaven have mercy! You don't need to read this post to know what a joke of a representative hails from District 18 ... Rep. Campfield has responded in comments, and proves himself to be immature and clueless there. Wow ... just wow!

On several occasions, I have attempted to engage Rep. Campfield in discussion, via his blog comments, regarding legislation that he has proposed. I have met with nothing but failure. He says he has this blog so that he can be more accessible to the citizens he represents and that he welcomes dissenting opinion, but the truth of it is, he will shut down any commenter that out-argues him or proves him wrong, using whatever reasoning he can think up. Today, he has re-posted his comment policy, in which he completely misstates what he did to me!

Yes, I mean misstate = LIE. The most truthful statement there is this, "It is my blog so I will put up or take down what ever I want." That's fine, Mr. Campfield, but if that is your policy, then stop promoting your site as being a place where citizens can interact freely with their representative.

Case in point, this sex ed bill he proposes. I left a comment using a pseudonym because we had previously tangled while I used this, my regular online name. Somewhere in one of the comments, I used the word "asinine" ... his response, "I will not put up your posts with foul language in it. You can try again but you have been warned. One more attempt and you will be banned."

It took me a while to figure it out, but then I posted another comment asking if that were the word and offered to enlighten him as to its real meaning, but then that user name and IP address was then banned. End of discussion.

A few days later, he posted again on the Sex Ed bill. Using a different IP address and pseudonym, I posted again ... what I wanted to know is what exactly is the result he wishes to achieve with this bill. I even stated explicitly that I was sincere in my query and restated it again. He responses were the typical circular illogic and failed to address the question I was asking. So I tried again, using the word "asinine" once more, as in "this asinine piece of legislation."

Same response as before, comment not published due to "foul language." I responded again, giving a link to the entry at dictionary.com and a link to an article, "Burdened by Asinine Meanings" that discusses the issue of whether it is a "foul" word or not ... and whaddaya know, I am banned again. (OK, so I did say that I laughed at the absurdity of it, and that I was concerned that I was being represented by a politician that is this ignorant.)

Funny, the last time I took him on like this was over his bill that would require sex offenders to register their email address and IP address so their internet activity could be monitored. I told Stacey that it was useless because of how easy it is to circumvent. I just showed him, he banned me three times and three times I have been able to return. I guess he has never heard of proxies or dynamic IP addresses.

My point with Rep. Campfield is that we, the voters, (and I voted for him!) have the right to hold him accountable for his activities in the job that he performs on our behalf. If I, the voter, ask for the reasoning behind his proposed legislation, to know that it is not a waste of his time, which translates into my tax dollars, I expect to get it, and not get shut down and censored for asking!

When Rep. Campfield started blogging, I thought that it was great and that he was doing a good job at exposing some of the less savory aspects of politics in Nashville. This has changed over the last couple of years. Rep. Campfield has this little soapbox, and the political power that we the people gave to him with our votes. But he has seen fit now to use it to grandstand and pander to a limited fringe element of the paleo-conservative, fundamentalist rightwing crowd with these asinine legislation proposals, one after another.

As a citizen of the state of Tennessee and a resident of District 18, I demand better from my Representative, and the last thing I expect is to be censored by him for airing my views! I want my vote back!

Posted by LissaKay on 01/27/08 at 04:29 PM in Politics
I laugh as I finish reading your post on "censorship" and see you have rules that are similar to mine. What is that word I am looking for? It begins with a H..... Hippo?..... Hippo? what is that word?

As for my child pred bill it would be a way for preds violate parole. If they were honest with the info and were caught then it is a violation. If they used a false/non regesterd IP and it were tracked back to them then it is a violation. Either way they could be put back in jail. You might be suprised how dumb and lazy some of these preds are.

Posted by the rep. on 01/27 at 10:00 PM

LissaKay's avatar
Nice try, Stacey. But my rules are simply "No personal attacks on others" and use a valid email address, and no spam ... everything else is OK. You, on the other hand, banned me simply because I used a word that *sounds* like it might be "foul language." I even offered to educate you on the matter, yet you still cannot answer the question I asked and further you shut me down because you can't answer me.

The word you are looking for is hypocrite. You need me to look that one up for you too? You should be very familiar with the concept as you restrict speech on your site, are trying to suppress reality in the classroom (not talking about gays will not make them go away, nor will it keep kids from turning out to be gay ... it only sows the seeds of more hatred and bigotry), yet you protest against hate speech laws and suppression of free speech when it affects you and your viewpoints.

You're a joke of a representative, Stacey. A clown. I regret my vote for you, you embarrass me. The entire state of Tennessee should be embarrassed of you. I join the droves of Republicans, conservatives and moderates that are turning from you and are vowing to see that you do not enjoy another term in office.

"I will delete abusive comments as I see fit, but I welcome all reasonable ideas, questions, comments and critiques. Trolls and spammers will be banned. Or maybe fed to my cats."

Your words not mine. Nothing about personal attacks on others in there. A nice bit about banning trolls also. I guess those are people who don't always agree with you.
censorship!,
censorship!,censorship!, censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!,censorship!.

Gotcha!

Posted by The rep. on 01/27 at 11:57 PM

LissaKay's avatar
Wow. Asinine AND immature. My state representative, folks. In all his glory.

I understand now that you have serious issues with vocabulary, in addition to your painful errors in spelling and grammer, as so astoundingly displayed on your site. You also seem to lack a grasp of the basics in internet technology, capability and terminology. So here again, I offer my assistance to you.

"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response."

Further, "abusive comments" are the same thing as personal attacks. In case you don't understand, try this: if someone were to post a comment here saying, "Stacey Campfield is a stupid moron and his mama is a ho bag and he don't know who his daddy is" I would consider that to be an abusive personal attack, and I would delete it. If someone posts a comment saying my opinions are stupid, my views are wrong, my conclusions are illogical, I would leave it be. Attack the view, fine. Attack the person, not so fine. Get it?

Now, I have spent far too much time trying to educate you, Stacey, and I fear it is a lost cause. You have proven yourself to be unworthy of the office you hold, and even too immature to hold much more responsibility than a widget sorter in an automated factory (no offense to widget sorters intended).

And if all that is too complicated for you to understand, I will try it at your level: Nanny nanny boo boo!

Posted by LissaKay on 01/28 at 12:49 AM

"I will delete abusive comments as I see fit"

Nothing about others in there at all.

On trolls
From wickapedia [edit] Usage
The term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often erroneously used to discredit an opposing position, or its proponent, by argument fallacy ad hominem.

Often, calling someone a troll makes assumptions about a writer's motives. Regardless of the circumstances, controversial posts may attract a particularly strong response from those unfamiliar with the robust dialogue found in some online, rather than physical, communities.

Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding encourages a true troll to continue disruptive posts — hence the often-seen warning "Please do not feed the troll".[citation needed]

Frequently, someone who has been labelled a troll by a group may seek to redeem their reputation by discrediting their opponents, for example by claiming that other members of the group are closed-minded, conspirators, or trolls themselves.

I am sure you are ready to move on now, the mirror must hurt. I am as well since I have proven my point.

Posted by The rep. on 01/28 at 01:35 AM

LissaKay's avatar
Rep. Campfield hits bottom, keeps digging.

This is getting to be really pathetic, Stacey. My embarrassment of you has become complete mortification. Honestly, can you act anymore immature and clueless?

You have proven nothing, Stacey, except for the points I have made about you. You can twist it and turn it anyway you like, but what it comes down to is this:

You are an elected representative of the people. You hold out your web site as a place for the people to interact with you. You respond to dissenting opinion with censorship, and you are doing this as a representative of the government.

I am a private citizen, I run a personal web site that I hold out to be nothing more than a repository for my views. Whether or not I choose to allow comments does not fall under the mantle of "censorship" as it does for you. I choose to disallow abusive personal attacks (I did not use all three words in my policy statement to save room, assuming that most people of reasonable intelligence would understand, I didn't count on the likes of you), trolls - using the above definition, those who offer nothing in the way of discussion but only wish to cause trouble, and spammers - which I hope needs no further clarification. Your continued posting of these asinine comments is hovering very close to the "troll" definition now, and my cats are hungry.

You wanted to be a government representative, now please, grow up and ACT LIKE ONE!

Posted by LissaKay on 01/28 at 01:48 AM

I guess by the definition of your own words "troll" You could be the "troll" of your own blog.

From the wickapedia definition again

The irony is killing me please go on....

Posted by The rep. on 01/28 at 10:52 AM

LissaKay's avatar
Oh for heaven's sake, Stacey, GROW UP!

This has gone far beyond pathetic, there is no word for what a pitiful display of immaturity and ignorance you have put on here. Please stop, it is painful to watch a supposedly grown man, and an elected official to boot, expose his failings in such a spectacular manner.

Just go ahead and admit that you censored me from your web site for one of two reasons, A. That you have no answer to my question, or B. That you mistakenly believed that the word "asinine" to be foul language and used that as an excuse to avoid my questions. Then, please, go find something useful to do with your time other than to perpetuate mindless attacks upon your constituents, or create asinine legislation that does nothing but assuage your anti-gay agenda (closeted much?)

I have a very busy day planned and do not have the time, or the patience to try to further your education. This has been picked up by some more widely read blogs, and you should have your hands full soon with even more damage control ... or a public temper tantrum, whichever fits you best.

Posted by LissaKay on 01/28 at 11:29 AM

From the wickapedia definition again

Posted by The rep. on 01/28 at 04:41 PM

LissaKay's avatar
Stacey, smack yourself upside the head, your record is stuck.

Here's a new word for you to play with: Redundant. Good luck.

Oh, and did you see that your humiliation here has made it to the Knoxville News Sentinel?

Link??

Posted by The rep. on 01/28 at 07:26 PM

Got the post from The Agitator website. Wanted to drop a quick post.

Are you sure that 'Tie Rep' is really your representative?

The poster is so blazingly ignorant that I find it hard to believe that this is someone who ran a campaign.

Posted by Lee on 01/28 at 09:31 PM

LissaKay's avatar
Hi Lee,

Yes, unfortunately the above comments were left by the real thing. I have tracked his movements on my site, from where he linked, his IP is logged ... in fact, the last comment was left from within the state legislature network.

Sad, isn't it?

And I am just going to let the poor dear find his way over to dictionary.com and look up "redundant" himself. It will be a good learning experience.

I live in DC (hail from TN, originally) and we had something like this awhile back, involving the word "niggardly". It is not, of course, related to the n-word. Dictionaries are good for verifying that.

It only takes a few moments and a dictionary (they have them online, you know) to verify that "asinine" is not obscene. It's amazing to me that an elected official spends time banning someone based on his or her own ignorance, then actually seeks out that person online and posts silly follow-up messages.

Here are some other words that might get one banned by the rep:
- aspirate
- ascendance
- asbestiform
- ascii
- asilus
- ashamed

Look that last one up.

Posted by Dji on 01/30 at 06:33 PM

The pernicious effects of banning words, by By Christopher Hitchens, slate.com

Posted by djuggler on 01/31 at 02:37 PM

Like his views or not, State Rep. Stacey Campfield is one of the smartest legislators in Nashville, and unlike most, he will speak his mind, challenge others to think beyond their partisan blinders, and will stand up for what he believes in. He's a man of his word and will handily win re-election in 2008.

Posted by Andrew on 02/01 at 08:39 PM

That's hilarious! Thanks for the good laugh. Stacey Campfield is indeed a self-righteous moron.

Posted by Southern Beale on 02/01 at 09:50 PM

LissaKay's avatar
Andrew, anyone that would respond to this situation, or even let it become a situation, is NOT all that smart. His responses above are clearly not smart, or grown up at all.

All he is doing is standing up for what he believes in ... and he is doing so by bringing up bill after bill that are ineffectual, useless and a total waste of tax payer money. I do not question the intent so much as the purpose. He does this to make himself and other ultra-rightwing, fundamentalist, paleo-conservatives feel good. I guess you could call it political masturbation.

How many times did he incorrectly spell wikipedia in his comments?

I tried to read his blog when I first heard about it, but the spelling and grammatical errors were so astounding that I couldn't bear to scan through it.

It's amazing that someone with such a lack of comprehension of the English language could be elected to any office in this country. Campfield is an embarrassment to Republicans, and uhh, people in general.

Posted by Justin on 02/02 at 07:03 PM

Whoa.

Seriously?

Wow.

Posted by Busy Mom on 02/04 at 06:27 PM

Yeah, it's a late reply, but it's still bothering me.

The fact that the he was using our tax dollars to sit playing a personal vendetta --- during business hours, on a state-funded network --- is truly reprehensible.

Have you no shame, Campfield?

Recently, I had a little situation with a City of Kennessaw, Georgia employee who used his state-funded internet connection to harrass me via e-mail, using unbelievable vulgarity. He then had the audacity to telephone multiple times from his City of Kennessaw provided telephone, and even resorted to making personal, physical threats, all the while using more vulgarity.

And what was the reason?

I wouldn't sell him drugs.

Yes, his stupid ass had the wrong website.

Posted by Mark Steel on 02/19 at 04:58 PM

LissaKay's avatar
Well, the bill failed in subcommittee. Not only that, but it appears that the (less than) honorable Rep. Stacey Campfield is less than truthful about the origins of this bill, in addition to being unable to define just what such a bill could accomplish. He stated, before the subcommittee that he had received complaints from parents about two schools that supposedly were teaching about homosexuality. When asked to name the schools, he refused to do so. When asked to name the complainants, he refused to do so. Further, the law director of the Tennessee Dept of Education testified that there is no curriculum that involves the teaching of homosexuality.

So, at least now I can deduce the answer to my original question - what does Campfield hope to accomplish with this bill? He hopes to have it on record that homosexuality is a prohibited subject to talk about, thus further indemnifying his bigoted and hate-filled views towards some of his fellow citizens. It is nothing more than his personal hate agenda taking the form of a legal proscription, and would accomplish nothing other than to incite even more hatred towards homosexuals.

And I do find it interesting that often the most vociferous anti-gay voices arise from closeted gays themselves. Go figure, eh?

Kinda like Drug Enforcment personnel in Kennesaw Georgia, yup. wink

Posted by Mark Steel on 02/19 at 11:28 PM

LissaKay's avatar
I just put a comment on his latest post where he quotes the TEA/NEA resolution on tolerance and diversity, purporting that to be the proof that homosexuality is being taught in the schools. I doubt he has the balls to publish the comment, even though I used no "foul language" like "asinine" or "ridiculous" but just because it calls him out and he cannot defend his dishonesty.

This is what I posted and is awaiting moderation:
Stacey, honestly ... this has to be the lamest attempt to deflect accusations of dishonesty I have ever seen! The TEA/NEA resolutions have NOTHING to do with the instructional curriculum as it regards any sort of sex education. That which you quote above addresses behavior and tolerance of others, and is not limited to gays, NOT the subject matter that is being taught! This is disingenuous at best, a hollow straw-man you are tossing around to cover up your own dishonesty you displayed in front of the subcommittee. Come on, tell us ... what are the names of the two alleged schools that these alleged parents allegedly complained about?

Why don't you just come out and admit that this bill is nothing more than a vehicle for your own hateful and bigoted agenda?

I am not holding my breath, but I bet it gets more views here than there. My site traffic has increased 30x since this post, with this particular page being the most popular, getting hits from all over Tennessee to include the capitol building, many media outlets, even some from Washington, D.C.

Hey Stacey ... nice political career you got there. Shame if something happened to it.

Oops! Something did! See above ...

Aug. 7 cannot get here soon enough ...

Posted by LissaKay on 02/20 at 12:05 AM

Next entry: Tepid Tuesday

Previous entry: It’s Baby Havin’ Day!