Hello Experian!

For the last few weeks, I have been getting calls from 1-866-660-6940. The calls come at all times of the day, but they never leave a message. I finally got fed up and called them back. It is Experian ... the credit report people. They said they were calling to make sure their information on my business, LissaKay Co, was correct, I'm sure for the purpose of selling me credit monitoring service or some shit like that. Friggin idiots ... that is my DOMAIN name! The only place you could have obtained that information is from the WHOIS database. Guess what, Experian? You are in violation of the terms of service of the whois.net domain look up service.

The data in this whois database is provided to you for information purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration record. We make this information available "as is," and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone.
The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written consent from us. The registrar of record is eNom. We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

I will be contacting the BBB and the folks at Whois ... and changing my domain registration information.

Asshats ...

Posted by LissaKay on 03/18/05 at 06:28 PM in
I, too, have been receiving calls on my home phone from this number. I googled the number today and got your blog! I called the 866 number, got an Experian rep on the line, told them my phone number, which they told me was registered to some company. "Wrong!" I said, "it's a personal number that's registered on the do-not-call government registry." They promised to change their records, but somehow...I doubt they will.
Posted by tiredandwired on 03/29 at 03:18 PM

They are calling me too. I haven't answered. Anyone know what they want?
Posted by KD on 03/30 at 04:51 PM

LissaKay's avatar I'm not sure, KD. They told me that they were just verifying the information about my business ... uhh, I do not own a business. She specifically named "LissaKay Company" which tells me that they got my number from the Whois database, and that is definitely against the Whois TOS. I don't know what they were selling, but I imagine it is something like credit monitoring service. Dunno ... I told them to never call, write or email me ever again.

I also went and changed my information in the Whois database.

Also got your blog through Google by entering the phone number 866-660-6940. I have a few domain names with a ficticiuous business name "Dual Phase Entertainment" and they just wanted to make sure that they have all the correct information, and what my title is. I took on that business name from a friend that died in 1983. I might do something with it some day.
Posted by Ronald L. Gibson on 04/14 at 10:32 PM

I googled for the 1-866-660-6940 number and got your blog. I have a couple of domains registered but they are domains by proxy. So they don't display my name/number in whois. So I can't guarantee that the calls you got where from the whois database.
Posted by GoogleEyes on 04/15 at 08:56 AM

They called again and I said please take me off the list and rather than say "Ok, we will" they kept going trying to get more information out of me. I said "did you hear what I said?" the bitch says "yes" and I said "why didn't you respond to me?" Then I told her to fuck off.
Posted by KD on 04/18 at 12:22 PM

It is better to call your state Department of consumer affairs, they have legal power to deal with this people then the BBB
Posted by Ron Biederman on 04/26 at 05:18 PM

The Department of consumer affairs has broad powers to protect the interest of the people, since it is a goverment body. The BBB has no legal power at all. The BBB can advise people and business's on what to do, but they do not have the ablity to levy fines or take legal action against companies for unfair or ilegal business practices.
Posted by Ron Biederman on 04/26 at 05:40 PM

Same as above.. however I am on the national do not call list... http://www.donotcall.gov as well as the texas do not call list http://www. texasnocall .com . I have filed complaints with both. I reccomend that you register with the national registry and also with your states registry if you have one.

-Mike

Posted by Mike Down on 06/15 at 03:27 PM

Yeah, I googled the number, too, and got your blog.

How do any of you know for a fact that if you call the number back you are calling Experian? I could give you my phone number and say that I'm from Experian. How would you know the difference?

My caller ID reveals no name, I cannot find this number at Experian, and despite my best efforts, talking to a live human at Experian is highly unlikely.

The guy told me he just wanted to verify my business information and then asked for my name. I told him if he just wanted to verify he could read the information he had to me and I would tell him if it was correct or not. He did not have that information. So I said, "then you are not verifying, you are obtaining information." I told him that I would not under any circumstances give up any information without evidence he was who he said he was.

I told the guy to not call back again and I have given up on talking to someone at Experian. I, for one, will not call them back.

Posted by Steven Henderson on 07/06 at 08:28 PM

I got a call from these people yesterday. I wouldn't tell them anything. I asked for their phone number and told them I'd call them back. Then I googled them and found your blog! Sounds like they're a spam or phishing outfit. Good thing people wrote about this. I'm not giving them any more of my energy, and suggest you don't either.
Posted by revclaus on 01/25 at 02:36 PM

hi, sorry but i can't leave a working e-mail 'cause your blog is posting the addresses in the clear - they will get sucked up by spambots - as scuzzy as experian and d&b. also found you via google and the 866-660-6940 number. i've talked to these morons time and again and they have been told to stop calling. and they keep calling. i'd say this is harrasment.

also - they are very much trying to get something from you that they will re-sell to others - i always start by asking them how much they want to pay for my data. (pause for sound of spit dripping from stupid caller's mouth) duh, we don't pay. "oh, you want my data for free?" ... you all know the drill. maybe a class action lawsuit? what a scummy business they are in.

Posted by PrivacyFan on 06/26 at 07:47 PM

File a complaint with the FTC and give them a black eye.

They have enough problems with the FTC and the credit reports, this is just another nail in their bum.

If you live in CA and some other states, you can file a compalint with the local goverments offices with more power.

Posted by t fritz on 06/26 at 09:54 PM

LissaKay's avatar Actually, "Privacy Fan" your web site URL is displayed, not your email address. I require valid emails so that I can verify that a real person, not a spam bot, is leaving the comment. I have also had problems with abusive commenters attacking others here, and I won't stand for that. Total anonymity emboldens where accountability, at least to some degree encourages discretion.

I'm getting the calls now. Got here thru Google, amazing how long this has been going on! Let's say I'm not a fan of this company now.
Posted by Mike on 06/30 at 12:52 PM

I am a stay at home mom and I don't have a business but I saw that this number appeared on my caller ID. Thank you everyone for your advice on how to deal with this 866 660 6940.
Posted by Lori on 06/30 at 06:56 PM

Cool blog entry. Looks like more people than me have been getting these calls for some time now. I phoned the FTC straightaway, then decided to google the number. I told the FTC that I believed the call was fraudulent because (check the date on my comment) it's July 3, and Experian is CLOSED. So I called them back and told them I didn't believe they were who they said they were.

This is not Experian. It's a contracted call center. Gavel down, case closed.

Posted by Tarkaan on 07/03 at 05:17 PM

funny, I got your blog also from googling this number... these "experian" guys are a riot, I mean c'mon. the ONLY place my business is listed as the name they have on record IS whois. coicidentially after telling the drone on the other end to go fuck themselves, my information comes at a price, i googled it, found you, they called *while* i was on your page, and I read them that TOS posted here, and once again told them my information costs a lot of cash, but less than a lawsuit, they hung up, havn't heard back from em yet.
Posted by Cerberus on 07/06 at 07:02 PM

Hi LissaKay,

PrivacyFan back again (they called again too!). If you look at these posts you will see e-mail addresses out in the clear:

Posted by GoogleEyes on 04/15 at 05:56 AM
Posted by Mike Down on 06/15 at 12:27 PM
Posted by Steven Henderson on 07/06 at 05:28 PM
Posted by jmkerr on 09/13 at 11:46 PM
Posted by revclaus on 01/25 at 12:36 PM

Maybe they decided to post their address and I misunderstood that as all posts include public disclosure of the address?

I do appreciate your goal of keeping the spam and mean folks out.

Something needs to be done about these calls and unethical practices - I double checked - the number they are calling me on is a do not call number - live on that list since the list went live years ago.

Grrrrrr.

Posted by PrivacyFan on 07/06 at 08:18 PM

LissaKay's avatar PrivacyFan ... I have looked into the email issue. The software that runs my site encodes the email addresses with javascript. Look at the source code. (But if you use Firefox, and do the View Selection Source, it does show there after all the encoded stuff - because of the DOM inspector in Firefox. Take a look at the source code with IE or Opera ... nothing but jibberish. Nothing is infallible, so that is why, when I do have to give out an email address that might be vulnerable, I use a spam-dump like EndJunk.com.

I found your blog re:866-660-6940 and I called them back, freaking idiots kept hanging up on me, so i searched and called Corp. 714-830-7000 and gave them a mothful, they know exactly what they are doing, i asked how come every day, you people call my #, each time ask for a diff. company other than mine, (got no answer) I said I will be contacting the Govt re: harassments and I question how they can handle our credit reports and act so shamefully, still no answer, I am supposedly going to get a phone call from a Corp. manager, plesse call them and lets all start calling them.
Posted by CB on 08/02 at 03:19 PM

I find all of the comments VERY interesting. I actually was looking for 800-556-2210 (when Googled it will take you to Experian's business services web site) and someone else referenced your site and the 866-660-6940 number. The situations are the same: a nebulous caller ID and an idiot checking business info; but Experian isn't the only company out there checking business listings for their clients, there are tons of them. Contractor phone banks, including one in the Seattle area, are everywhere. You may not get the call from Experian, but it may be one of their contractors. WORSE news for everyone: many companies are moving their telemarketing off-shore to places like the Phillipines (English is an official languange there) to avoid the Do Not Call Registry. If it helps, keep in mind that it's your telephone, they should identify themselves properly to you and there's no law that says you have to speak to them. I simply tell them "No Thank You, Have A Nice Day" and hang up.
Posted by Andy Wojciechowski on 10/19 at 06:40 PM

Next entry: Happy Birthday to CotC!

Previous entry: Cat Bloggage